Oct 15, 2013

Equality revised

Since writing my last post, some friends have kindly opened my eyes to some new aspects of the issue.

Since I've become a stay at home mom, I have started writing about things I feel strongly about. One of my favorite parts of reading and writing posts is that I learn something new every time I get involved. I am a firm believer that a person should be allowed to change. For example, I call myself a reader. I bet my older sister would be surprised to hear that because when she lived at home, I was not a reader. Since she went to college I have become a reader, I read all the time and love it. People change and not only do I think its okay, I think its healthy. I have not changed my mind or opinion on the topic of equality between men and women, however I now realize that the issue goes deeper than just women receiving the priesthood.

In my last post, I encouraged the idea that having and caring for children is the female equivalent to the priesthood. Well, what about those who can't have children or are not married or those who have NO inclination toward children. To them I would like to apologize for my narrow minded words. To them I would like to say that I still firmly believe that the Lord has a plan for them and that by no means does the lack of priesthood take away from their worth. I don't have the answer to what their role is, but I can tell them to look to women in the church such as Barbara Thomson who inspired women all over the world despite her lack of husband, children, or the priesthood and to the video included in my last past by Sheri Dew. 

Another issue brought to my attention is the fact that women are not allowed in the priesthood session of conference, what harm could it do? None. It would not do any harm, however, I still don't think women should be there. Men need women to support them in their priesthood roles but its still their role. I think men being able to gather together and see others who are striving just like them to be the best they can is a beautiful picture. To think that those men can look around and see 21,700 other priesthood holders coming together to be edified, encouraged and instructed. I think women attending the priesthood session, this does not mean watching it or reading it later only attending, would be like our husbands coming to a girls night and lets be honest who really wants that? I know that not everyone would agree, but thats my opinion.

To those who struggle with the quality issues, I am sorry. Your struggle is real and I wish you luck in finding your place. I hope one day you can feel important and needed and I hope I can help you in your struggle by sharing my own testimony that there are MANY things you can do to participate in church. Through teaching, loving, and serving you do more than you can possibly imagine. I also hope that priesthood leaders throughout the church can understand your struggle and make those changes to the culture (not the doctrine) that may make you feel more comfortable.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is true and the Prophet loves each and every person on this Earth and he, through Jesus Christ will listen to your humble prayers to find peace.

2 comments:

  1. As far as Priesthood Meeting goes, just think: we have our Relief Society broadcast that men are not allowed to go to (although they're welcome to read/watch later just as we can read/watch Priesthood later). I think that it's great that each gender has their own special time with the church presidency. :)

    ReplyDelete