Sep 9, 2011

A busy week for us both!

Lets start with Brandon. He is still working and getting to know the others in his office a bit better. He was invited to hang out with a group of his coworkers which was really exciting (more so for me than him I think). The phones the companies gives to their employees stopped accepting e-mails so he gets a new one which he is very excited about because he gets to choose which type of smart phone he wants. There was a bomb threat at the San Clemente high school and everyone had to be evacuated. The threat was from a marine stationed at Camp Pendleton but there were no explosives missing from the base nor were there any found at the high school, he turned himself in later that day at the base hospital. The waves at the beach have been SO big that the life guard would not let Brandon go in past his calves and lastly, there was a HUGE power outage. There were 1.5 million people without power. It included parts of Southern California, Arizona, and some of Mexico! It was a crazy week but to be honest, I welcome being so busy because it keeps my mind off of missing my husband!
This has nothing to do with this week but I love the picture! Brandon throwing my cousin in the air, I was terrified she would hit her head on the ceiling but she absolutely loved it!

My week was not so eventful however I did come to a lot of realizations! The biggest one had to do with September 11. I will be honest, until my freshman year of college I had no idea that 9/11 was a big deal. Obviously it was sad but I did not see the difference between it and all the other terrorist attacks that I had heard about. I grew to understand that it was especially significant because it represented a breach of National security that nobody expected. It also killed more people than any other attack has in the history of the US, including Pearl Harbor! In class this week my cooperating teacher gave a lesson on the events of 9/11. These kids were under a year old when this tragedy struck so their knowledge of it was about as good as mine 4 years ago. I loved the lesson because she focused on the way people came together to help those who were injured. It really showed the strength of the US. Sure, we might not agree politically and our nation is not perfect, but isn't the important thing that we care for the individual when it really matters? We watched this video as part of the lesson, one girl admitted to crying and others were very touched including myself (and my glistening eyes).


I was very touched when two boys showed up the next day wearing red bandanas! This is only one example of the many people who risked their own life to make a difference for others. Unfortunately not all families were able to have the comfort and closure of knowing what their loved one was doing in the last two hours of their lives but I know that many of them were acting out of selflessness just like the man in the red bandana.


On a lighter note, 6th graders just don't provide the same amount of laughs as younger kids do! BUT there are a few funny statements I would like to share!
   - "Mrs. Hatch, how do you spell Catholic-ism"
   - "Mrs. Hatch, we have been searching forever and can't find anything about the crucification!

   - "Oh another one of my favorite things is homework! Its like school.... but at HOME!"

3 comments:

  1. how did you watch that at school? youtube is blocked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its by ESPN, it was just easier to put it on my blog if I used youtube!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am just now going through your blog and loving it!! It is fun to learn about your days.

    ReplyDelete