Sep 25, 2011

Time is passing...

Brandon is so sweet! Even when we are so far apart, he finds ways to make me smile! He is so patient with me on my emotional days, and gives me all the love, support, and understanding I need. I try to be there for him too, but I never do as well as he does for me. What a great man!

Recently in 6th grade I gave a spelling test. I said "Look at me when you finish spelling this word, when your all looking I will know I can move on!" As if they had planned this, about 6 kids looked right into my eyes, all in weird ways! One boy (the closest to a punk you can get in an accelerated class) was raising his eyebrows up and down at me, a girl widened her eyes as far as they would go and stretched her head toward me, other children did similar things! It was so uncomfortable that I said "Don't look at me creepily, just look forward!" The whole class started laughing and it took some time to get back to the spelling test! Oh how I love these kids!

My biggest trial right now is with a little girl who has had very little structure in her life. Her parents take her in and out of school in whatever country they are currently living to go on trips around the world. Luckily for them, she is intellectually gifted and catches up easily. They are back in the US from their world travels for a while and she is having a difficult time adjusting. She bosses the other kids around and does whatever she wants whenever she wants. The worst part about all of this, is that I can't subtly re-direct her. I try giving a whole class instruction such as "Make sure your pencils are down and your looking this way," even though she is the only one not already doing so, and she doesn't do it! This means I have to either point her out in front of everyone or just let her distract the whole class! I have been making sure to catch her doing good things and casually talking to her during breaks or coming in from recess so she knows I like her (and I really do), but honestly, I don't think it phases her one bit that her name is constantly being said in a that's not what you should be doing right now tone! The school has some social workers who will be taking her out of class for a little bit each week to work on social skills, I hope it helps because the other kids are beginning to treat her differently.

We are starting a unit on Ancient Egypt pretty soon part of which entails mummifying chickens!! I am SO excited! The kids will clean the chickens out completely and use hair dryers to dry them out. After sitting in plastic bags for a week to drain, they will blow dry them once more. Following that they will warp the chickens tightly in muslin, seal them in non-bio-degradable containers, and bury them in the school yard! Come May they will dig up the suckers (as my dad would say) and see if they were preserved! I hope it goes well! Last year tomb robbers, probably kids from the previous years class, stole one of the chickens! Haha Gotta love kids!

1 comment: